- The Happy Lion by Louise Fatio. It’s a sweet story about a lion in France who leaves the zoo for a day to wander about town.
- The Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen. Rhyming, rhythmic tale about shipwreck and a charming escape.
- Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall. I always tell my kids this is my favorite children’s book, and they grab it as a special kindness to me. Its lyrical portrayal of farm life and gentle domestic scenes reads like a Wendell Berry primer for kids.
- A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse) by Bonnie Becker. I love the illustrations in this book and the vocabulary is particularly rich. Everybody needs a friend, even grumpy old Bear.
- Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen. Great watercolor illustrations in this fanciful tale of a lion and the people he won over. We never stopped wishing for a big cat to wander into our library.