One of my favorite children’s picture book authors is Valeri Gorbachev (here’s a charming interview with the Brooklyn-based author/illustrator). If you see his name on the book, chances are it’s a sweet story about anthropomorphized- could I possibly have spelled that right the first time?- animals. Here are my top 5:
- Catty Jane Who Hated the Rain My middle boy called this his favorite book FOR. YEARS. It was one of those books we checked out from the library every time.
- That’s What Friends Are For Everyone needs these guys to teach a class on what it means to be a friend.
- Shhh! A sweet book for a house with a new baby.
- Turtle’s Penguin Day A great book for school awareness.
- Christopher Counting A sweet tale for young counters everywhere!